Rear view of the Chaumukh Temple, with other shrines in the foreground, Satrunjaya
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of temples at Satrunjaya, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by Henry Cousens in the1880s-90s. Satrunjaya is an ancient Jain place of pilgrimage where it is believed that Adinatha, the first Jain Tirthankara visited several times and his disciple Pundarika obtained enlightenment. On the two summits of the hill, which rise 600 m above the plain around the town of Palitana, there are many hundreds of multi-spired temples where every day pilgrims come to pay reverence to the different Jain saints. The sanctuaries are grouped in fortified enclosures or tuks, named after their founders. The Chaumuk is situated on the northern ridge of the hill and was rebuilt in 1618. The Chamukh temple derives its name from the four faced diety of Adinatha that faces the four cardinal directions on a marble pedestal in the shrine.