Right-hand wing of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri 1003408a
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the main gallery and right-hand wing of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in 1895, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of the Udayagiri caves. It has a double storey, excavated on three sides of a quadrangle, with a spacious courtyard. Both the lower and upper storey once had a pillared verandah, now only the upper verandah is extant. The entrances to the cells have side-pilasters with sculpted animals sitting on the capitals. Arches above the pilasters are carved with relief motifs such as the honeysuckle, lotus or creeper issuing from the mouth of animals. Two figures of dvarapalas are carved on the wall near the terminal pilasters.