Rock Palace known as Khengar's Mahal, Junagadh
Photographer: Burgess, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the rock-cut Khapra Kodia Caves at Junagadh, in Gujarat, taken by James Burgess in 1874-75. Junagadh was the capital of Gujarat under the Kshatrapa rulers between the second and the fourth centuries. During this period many rock-cut caves were excavated for the Buddhist and Jain monastic communities who lied at Junagadh. This photograph shows the Khapra Kodia caves, a rock-cut complex from the third-fourth centuries, situated to the north of the Uparkot. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "[In]... the rock of Kapara Khodi...is still to be seen a portion of an ancient rock-hewn dwelling, originally of great extent, and still locally know as Khangar's Mehal or palace...What still remains of it extends fully 250 feet in length, through the rock, at has a width at one part of about 80 feet; but as the rock has been quarried entirely away, up to these limit, on three sides it is impossible to tell what was its original extent or plan."