Railing in the verandah of [Shwenandaw] kyaung, [Mandalay]
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a carved railing on the Shwenandaw Kyaung (Monastery) at Mandalay in Burma (Myanmar), from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Burma Circle, 1903-07. The photograph was taken by an unknown photographer in 1904 under the direction of Taw Sein Ko, the Superintendent of the Archaeological Survey of Burma at the time. The monastery was built in 1880 in north-east Mandalay using material obtained from King Mindon Min’s apartment in the Royal Palace, which was dismantled after his death. Mindon (reigned 1853-78) founded Mandalay in 1857 in fulfilment of a Buddhist prophecy that a religious centre would be built at the foot of Mandalay Hill. The city became the last capital of the Burmese kings and was richly endowed with monastic architecture through royal patronage. The monastery is a resplendent structure ornamented with fine teak carvings, mirrored glass mosaic and gilding. This view shows a railing surrounding the monastery, made up of wood panels encrusted with relief carving of figures set in scrollwork.