Photographer: Watts and Skeen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, with a view of the port at Rangoon (Yangon). Rangoon is built on the site of the ancient city of Dagon but was given importance and rebuilt by the founder of the Konbaung dynasty, Alaungpaya (ruled 1752-60), when it was given its name meaning 'end of strife'. The Rangoon River (now the Yangon or Hlaing) borders the city to the south and west and flows onward for 30 km to the Andaman Sea. Rangoon thus has the double advantage of being near the sea and being served by a great navigable river. After the conquest of Lower Burma in 1852, when Rangoon passed into British hands, it developed significantly until it became the major port in Burma and the third most important seaport in British India after Calcutta and Bombay. The infrastructure of wharves, gangways and buildings visible in the foreground was constructed to serve the needs of domestic and international trade and passenger travel. Vessels on the river include steam ships and Burmese rowing boats.