Raojis Palace, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of Badan Singh’s Palace in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. There are three palaces within the fort, a citadel built at the north-west corner of the walled city of Bharatpur by the Sinsini Jat king Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). Badan Singh’s Palace, also known as the Old Palace, stands at the highest point and was built in c.1733 by Suraj Mal’s father, who ruled between 1722 and 1733. It is rectangular in plan with two inner courtyards or chowks, and is an example of the Rajput garh palace, a fortified palace contained within a further fortress. This view of the palace exterior shows the octagonal corner towers and balconies with curved bangaldar roofs at the upper level, supported on brackets with a double cornice or chajja above. Bharatpur was captured by Suraj Mal from a rival Jat chief in 1733 and became the new capital of the recently-formed Jat state recognised in 1722 when Badan Singh was proclaimed Raja of Dig.