Randhir Singh's Palace, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of Randhir Singh’s Palace at Bharatpur, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. Bharatpur became the state capital of the Sinsini Jat kingdom in 1733 and Randhir Singh was the eighth Maharaja of Bharatpur (ruled 1805-1823). The palace is one of several built by the Jats in the city and its renowned fort during the 18th and 19th centuries. This view shows a beautiful two-storey pavilion and flight of steps next to a larger building, which may be the zenana or women’s apartments. The architectural style is characteristic of Jat palaces, in particular the carved brackets supporting the balconies and the curved bangla roof of the pavilion.