Rup Sagar, Deeg 4302741
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Rup Sagar at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the commercial studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Rup Sagar is one of two large reservoirs or tanks at the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, begun by Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33) and continued by his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). The tanks were constructed on either side of a formal garden laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. They supplied water to its innumerable and famous fountains and other water features designed to evoke the romance of the monsoon season. This view looks towards the Keshav Bhavan, built c.1760 and one of four principal pavilions ranged around the edge of the garden. At the upper level it is a square single storey pavilion or baradari. It faces the Rup Sagar to the east and the garden to the west.