Ruins on the Bank of the Reva Kunda, [Mandu]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of ruins on the bank of the Rewa Kund at Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1902. The Rewa Kund is a masonry-lined tank or reservoir inside the royal enclosure containing the palace of Baz Bahadur in southern Mandu. Situated on the spur of a plateau amidst the Vindhya range of central India, the fortified mediaeval citadel of Mandu in central India overlooked the Narmada valley. It was first part of the kingdom of the powerful Hindu Paramaras, supporters of culture and literature with their capital at Dhar. It was conquered by the Delhi Sultanate in 1305, and in 1401 became part of the province of the independent Sultans of Malwa. They transferred the capital from Dhar to Mandu, and made Mandu a great centre of the arts, architecture and learning, adorning it with many fine monuments. The Sultanate of Malwa collapsed in 1531, falling first to the Gujarat Sultanate and later being annexed by the Mughals. Daulat Khan ruled as Sultan Baz Bahadur from 1555 to 1566, when he was deposed by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. The tank contained sacred water which once supplied the palace of Baz Bahadur on the hill above. It is one of several artificial lakes at Mandu.