River-view, Bhutji-ghat, [Kota]
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Visit of His Excellency the Viceroy. Kotah, November, 1902' of the riverbank at Kota, taken by P.A. Herzog and P. Higgins in 1902. The Rajput city of Kota was founded in the 14th century within the borders of the state of Bundi, but became the capital of an independent princely state in 1625. It lies on a fertile plain in the hilly south of Rajasthan, and is situated on the east bank of the Chambal, Rajasthan’s largest river. This view on the Chambal shows the steps leading down to the water of a ghat, used for bathing, washing, collecting water, and ceremonial purposes. The columned arcades of the waterside pavilions feature cusped and pointed arches in the Mughal style, with crenellated masonry walls rising behind.