River view opposite to the Fort, [Kota] 4304020
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Visit of His Excellency the Viceroy. Kotah, November, 1902' of the riverbank, fort and palace at Kota, taken by P.A. Herzog and P. Higgins in 1902. The Rajput city of Kota in southern Rajasthan was founded in the 14th century within the borders of the state of Bundi, but became the capital of an independent princely state in 1625. It lies on the east bank of the Chambal, Rajasthan’s largest river. This view on the Chambal from the opposite bank shows the steps of a ghat in the foreground, with the bastions and ramparts of the fort rising behind. The fort was built in 1264 by Rajkumar Jait Singh of Bundi, and contains the city palace, seen on the summit of the hill in partial view. Construction of the palace was begun in c.1625 by Madho Singh (ruled 1625-48), and continued onwards until the early 20th century.