River view, opposite to the Fort, [Kota]
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection: 'Visit of His Excellency the Viceroy. Kotah, November, 1902' of the river, fort and palace at Kota, taken by P.A. Herzog and P. Higgins in 1902. The Rajput city of Kota in southern Rajasthan was founded in the 14th century within the borders of the state of Bundi, but became the capital of an independent princely state in 1625. It lies on the east bank of the River Chambal, Rajasthan’s largest river. This view on the Chambal shows the steps of a ghat in the foreground, with the ramparts and bastions of the fort rising from the river’s edge behind. The fort was built in 1264 by Rajkumar Jait Singh of Bundi, and contains the city palace. The delicate balconies and domes of the palace exterior project from the fort walls at intervals. Construction of the palace was begun in c.1625 by Madho Singh (ruled 1625-48), and continued onwards until the early 20th century.