Race Course and Annandale Garden [Shimla]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Simla taken by an unknown photographer in about 1900. General view looking down onto the racecourse at Annandale, a recreation area at Simla which also included a garden and cricket ground. The hill-station, now the capital of Himachal Pradesh, originally came to British notice after the Nepal War (1814-16) and Captain Charles Pratt Kennedy, Superintendent of the Hill States, built the first permanent European building there in 1825. It later became the summer capital for the British rulers, from 1832, when the Governor-General, Lord William Bentinck, began to take his council with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta 1300 miles away.