Ruins of the Buddhist Vihara at Sanchi
Photographer: Waterhouse, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Buddhist vihara at Sanchi, taken by James Waterhouse in 1861. This monastery, known as 'vihara 45' dates from the 7th century AD. It consists of a square sanctuary surrounded by a passageway on three sides. The doorway is adorned with figures of the river goddesses and amorous couples. The ruined tower is made of a pile of stones which belong to a temple dating probably from the10th - 11th centuries AD. Inside the sanctuary there is a seated Buddha image.