Ruined palace or harem on the west side of the Great Tank, Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad 1777
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a ruined palace or harem on the west side of the Great Tank, Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s for Archaeological Survey of India. During the reign of Muhammad Shah (r.1442-51) a mosque and a mausoleum were built in Sarkhej in memory of Shaikh Ahmed Khattu (d.1446). Later the place became a retreat for Gujarat rulers, as well as an imperial necropolis. Palaces, gardens, pavilions and gateways were built around an artificial lake that is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. This is a view of the two storey facade of a palace overlooking the tank, taken from the south-east. Supporting arches were inserted not long before this photograph was taken, to prevent parts of the building from falling down.