Ruined palace or harem on the west side of the Great Tank, Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad 1778
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a ruined palace or harem on the west side of the Great Tank, Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. During the reign of Muhammad Shah (r.1442-51) a mausoleum and mosque were erected in memory of Shaikh Ahmad Khattri (d.1446) at Sarkhej where the Shaikh had lived and died. Later the area became a retreat for Gujarat rulers, as well as an imperial necropolis, with gardens, pavilions, palaces and mausoleums. The artificial lake, that can be seen in this photograph, is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. This view, from the south-east, is of a two-storey façade overlooking the tank. Some of the supporting arches were inserted in the 19th century to prevent parts of the building from falling.