Ruined palace building at the south-west corner of the Great Tank, Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of ruined palace beside the Great Tank, Sarkhej, near Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, for Archaeological Survey of India. During the reign of Muhammad Shah (r.1442-51) a mosque and a mausoleum were built in Sarkhej in memory of Shaikh Ahmad Khattri (d.1446). Later the place became a retreat for Gujarat rulers, as well as an imperial necropolis. Palaces, gardens, pavilions and gateways were built around an artificial lake that is fed by a channel to the west of the mosque. This is a view of a ruined palace overlooking the tank, taken from the south-east. James Burgess wrote in the Archaeological Survey of Western India, Vol VII, "In the building F...the west end of the verandah facing the tank has fallen away at no very distant date, and a pointed arch, 18 feet wide, raises the whole height of the first storey, with a sloping way under it, - for bullocks to draw up water for the gardens behind. Over this arch is another balcony window, and they were continued at intervals westwards along the north façade."