Ruins and Pawagadh Hill from the north-west corner of the Jami Masjid, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of ruins and Pawagadh Hill from the north-west corner of the Jami Masjid at Champaner in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Champaner was the stronghold of local Rajput kings until Mahmud Begarha made it his new capital in the first decade of the 16th century. After 23 years of construction, the town was occupied for a short period of time before it was abandoned. When the Mughal Empire collapsed Champaner was occupied by the Marathas. Later in 1861 it was ceded to the British. Although most of the buildings are in ruins many mosques have survived. The Jami Masjid, built in 1523 by Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511), is the most renowned building in the ruined city.