Richly carved roof-slab in the second storey of the roof of the Jami Masjid, Champaner
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the richly carved roof-slab in the second storey of the Jami Masjid at Champaner, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Jami Masjid, built in 1523, is of considerable architectural importance. The plan is similar to the Jami Masjid in Ahmadabad, built 75 years earlier. It is rectangular mosque with an open courtyard. The main entrance to the courtyard is on the east side in the form of a large domed portico raised on a podium with steps on the north and south sides. The entrance to the mosque is flanked by two octagonal minarets. The exterior is notable for its carvings and oriel windows. The prayer hall of the mosque is covered in eleven domes with the central part of the roof raised on a further two storeys of pillars arcades. Under the central dome there is a carved balcony that runs around the octagon on the first and second floors, while at the spring of the dome there is a richly carved frieze. This photograph is reproduced in collotype in 'Archaeological Survey of Western India', VI, 1896, pl. lxii.