Remains of the old brick tower of the shrine of the Parsvanatha Temple, Sankeshvar
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the remains of the old brick tower of the shrine of the Parsvanatha Temple at Sankeshvar, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Sankeshvar in Gujarat lies seven miles south-west of Munjpur. In 1488 Bahadur Gilani, the Bahmani governor of the Konkan, rebelled and established his head-quarters in Sankeshvar, but subsequently he submitted to Sultan Mahmud Begarha (r.1458-1511). The shrine in this view is part of the Jain temple of Parsvanatha and dates to the 16th century. The Temple itself has now entirely disappeared. The shrine is built of bricks that have been moulded not cut.