Rear view of the four great pillars and architrave of the ruined Rudra Mahalaya Temple, Siddhapur
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the rear view of the four great pillars and architrave of the Rudra Mahalaya Temple at Sidhpur, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Rudra Mahalaya Temple at Sidhpur dates from the 12th century and was constructed by the Solanki ruler Jayasimha (r.1094-1143). This multi-storeyed santuary is devoted to the Shiva, a principle Hindu deity, and once consisted of eleven shrines and three gateways. Only two porches and four pillars remain from the principle temple.