Ramparts of the Fort, Chitradurga
Photographer: Dixon, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the ramparts of the Fort at Chitradurga, taken by Henry Dixon around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The hill fort at Chitradurga is situated in a rocky landscape north-west of Bangalore. The fortifications were built by the Naiks Pallegars in the 17th century. In 1779 Haider Ali captured the mud fort and erected a stone fortress. This Kallina Kote or Palace of Stone has many massive gateways with bent passageways, a palace, a mosque, a granaries, oil pits and water tanks. Inside the fort complex there are fourteen old temples.