Rsigopura and monolithic mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple, Taramangalam
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gopura and mandapa of the Kailasanatha Temple at Taramangalam in Tamil Nadu, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple, dedicated to Shiva, bears inscriptions from the Hoysala, Pandya and Vijayanagar periods. Part of the temple existed as early as 1260 but the majority was built in the first half of the 17th century. The temple consists of many enclosures or prakarams, entered through a pyramidal gopura, a five tiered gateway covered with stucco figures of the various divinities. The temple has a series of remarkable sculptures of tortoise, fish, monkeys and crocodiles carved on the walls and the granite roof. This is a view looking across the court, with a small, free-standing mandapa in the foreground. Beyond is a colonnade supported on pillars with carved animals; the gopura can be seen in the background.
This view looks across the court, with a small, free-standing mandapa in the foreground. Beyond is a colonnade supported on pillars with carved animals, with the gopura rising in the background. The temple is dedicated to Shiva and is renowned for the remarkable sculptures from the epic of the Ramayana and the figures of tortoise, fish, monkey, crocodile carved on the walls and the granite roofs.