Remains of a large stone ghat and tomb of Pir Mullah Ataudin, Devikot
Photographer: Ravenshaw, John Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the mosque of Pir Mullah Ataudin at Devikot taken by John Henry Ravenshaw in c.1871. Ravenshaw took four views of this shrine, and mentioned that the site had been described in Martin's India. Such shrines were used as the residence of a saint or 'pir' during his lifetime where he could meditate and teach, before being converted to a site of pilgrimage focused on their tomb following their death. Here, the original building was begun by the saint himself in the fourteenth century, during the reign of Sultan Sikander Shah from his capital in Pandua, and the tomb completed by the sultan himself following the death of the saint. As often occurs with such saints' mausolea in Bengal the building was later converted into a place of prayer with the recorded construction of a mosque and minar on the site during the reign of Ala-u'd-din Husain Shah (1493-1516). Cunningham (1879-80) records that a grave survives in the eastern section of the prayer hall.