Side view of the Old Palace, Kumbher
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Palace at Kumher in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The walled city of Kumher was founded by the Jats and is situated on a plain near Bharatpur. The palace was built in the 18th century by the Jat kings Badan Singh (r.1722-33) and his son Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) and stands on elevated ground with a wide view over the plain. It is typical of Rajput ‘garh’ or fort palaces, usually defended by high, fortified, windowless walls, with balconies and pavilions crowning the upper levels. This is a side view of the palace, with a pavilion on the skyline.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.