Shiv Bhawan with old Palace, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Keshav Bhavan and the Rup Sagar at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Rup Sagar is one of two large reservoirs or tanks at the 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, begun by Badan Singh (r.1722-33) and continued by his son Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). The tanks were constructed on either side of a formal garden laid out in the Persian-Mughal tradition of the char bagh. They supplied water to its innumerable and famous fountains and other water features designed to evoke the romance of the monsoon season. This is a view from the north-east looking across the Rup Sagar towards the Keshav Bhavan on the west side, with the domes of the Purana Mahal or Old Palace partly visible in the background. The Keshav Bhavan was built c.1760 and is one of four principal pavilions ranged around the edge of the garden. At the upper level it is a square single storey pavilion or baradari. It has a reservoir on its roof which supplied spouts above the pavilion arches to create the effect of rain and agitated stone balls in the ceiling to imitate the noise of thunder.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office by the Festival of Empire in 1912, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V (1865-1936). The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.