Sheesh Mahal, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Sheesh Mahal at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Sheesh Mahal, or mirror pavilion, is one of a group of beautiful pavilions in the 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig,
built by Badan Singh (r.1722-33) and his son Suraj Mal (r.1733-63). It dates from c.1725 and stands on the south-east corner of the Rup Sagar tank, one of two large reservoirs built on either side of a formal garden filled with fountains around which the main pavilions are arranged. This view shows the palace façade, with octagonal corner towers, small roof-top pavilion capped by a curved bangla roof, and a flight of steps descending to water-level in the foreground.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office by the Festival of Empire in 1912, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V (1865-1936). The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.