Stonework of the Chhattri, Gobardhan
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a pavilion on the roof of a chhatri at Gobardhan in Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The chhatri is a palatial cenotaph built to commemorate one of the Maharajas of Bharatpur, the capital of the Jat state, probably Baldeo Singh (r.1823-1825). It is one of four memorial shrines to the Maharajas at Gobardhan, which is also a site of Hindu pilgrimage. The chhatri is built of sandstone and stands at the western end of a formal garden or char bagh overlooking a tank or reservoir. The square, pillared pavilion is ornately decorated and has five cusped arches on each side and a deep cornice or chajja with carved brackets below an arrangement of domes and bangaldar or curved roofs.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.