South wall, north jetty, looking eastward [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
Workers are shown in front of the reclaimed land upon which the new docks were built. The quayside was transformed into a bustling industrious harbour with associated buildings, offices, warehouses and factories. Construction was initiated by the Elphinstone Land and Press Company launched by Nicol and Co. in 1858 and completed by the Bombay Port Trust in the last decade of the century.