St Paul's Church, Manora, Kurrachee [Karachi] Harbor.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of St Paul's Church on Manora island off Karachi harbor from the 'Album of architectural and topographical views mostly in South Asia' by an unknown photographer in the 1870s. Originally Karachi was a group of small villages made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts. Due to its location at the western end of the Indus delta the town has always been an important gateway for trade into central Asia. In the nineteenth century, the development of the harbour by the British resulted in an increase of the number of ships from international ports carrying goods to and from the subcontinent. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city and main commercial centre of the country. St Paul's Church is situated on Manora island, which was first occupied by the British in 1839. This view shows the exterior of St Paul's, a simple five bay structure.