Sind Club [Karachi].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Sind Club, Karachi, taken by an unknown photographer, c.1900, from an album of 46 prints titled 'Karachi Views'. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city and main commercial centre of the country and the capital of Sindh province in the lower Indus valley. Its history prior to the 18th century as a port on the Arabian Sea north-west of the mouth of the Indus is largely unrecorded, but it is believed to be ancient. It has been identified as Krokala, the port visited by Alexander's fleet in 326 BC, is noted in a collection of 16th century Turkish sailing directions, and was transformed from a fishing village to a trading post under the Kalhora and Talpur rulers of Sindh in the 18th century. However, it remained modestly sized until the British conquest of Sindh in 1843. The British developed the port of Karachi and completely transformed it into a major centre of the sub-continent's export trade. The prestigious Sind Club was built in 1883 and boasted a spacious dining room, billiard room, large bar, residential chambers for twenty-four members, and newly installed electric lights. It was exclusively a men’s club, however women could attend a Ladies’ Dinner held every two months and the famous Sind Club Ball held once a year. A band night was held every fortnight at which men and women could stroll on the lawns and verandahs.