South facade of the quadrangle of the Nayakar Durbar Hall [Thanjavur]
Photographer: Tripe, Linnaeus
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the south facade of the Nayakar Durbar Hall of the Tanjore Palace, Tamilnadu, is part of a collection entitled 'Photographic Views in Tanjore and Trivady ' (Madras, 1858) and was taken by Linnaeus Tripe in 1858. The palace of Thanjavur built by the Nayaka dynasty during the 16th – 17th centuries is situated inside the Great Fort, Tanjore. It is a vast building complex disposed around a series of courtyards and a tower of seven-storeys used once as the armoury. The Durbar Hall of the Nayaka kings is an arched building that was used for public audiences.