Sculptured pillars at Rajaona, Monghyr (Munger) District 1003177
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of sculptured pillars at Rajaona, Monghyr (Munger) District, taken by Joseph David Beglar around 1871-72. Rajaona is a modern village surrounded by the remains of ancient occupation in the form of mounds. The view shows three pillars, A (showing faces 1 and 3), B (faces 1 and 2) and one unidentified. The pillars are now in the Indian Museum, Calcutta. In a report of his photographic tour of 1871-72 Alexander Cunningham wrote, "A1 has two figures fighting to the left beside a prostrate figure. Beneath are two short inscriptions... A 3 shows Siva seated to the left on rocks (Mount Kailas) with a snake on his shoulder, and three attendants. He is holding out his hand to a young female kneeling on a crocodile...B 1 has four figures-two restling, one standing, and one broken. B 2 has a human-headed bird in semicircle, and beneath this a group of Siva and Parvati seated on rocks..."