Sculptured pillars at Rajaona, Monghyr (Munger) District.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of sculptured pillars at Rajaona, Monghyr (Munger) District, taken by Joseph David Beglar around 1871-72. Rajaona is a modern village in Bihar surrounded by the remains of ancient occupation in the form of mounds. The view shows two pillars, A (side view of face 4), and B (face 3). The pillars are now in the Indian Museum, Calcutta. In a report of his photographic tour of 1871-72 Alexander Cunningham wrote, "A 4 has a god and a goddess seated with one female attendant... B 3 has a lion's head and forepaws to the front, with a tree beneath. To the left are two figures in a fourwheeled chariot drawn by two horses, and to the right a figure with his arms raised above his head. Below these figures there are three perpendicular lines of the undeciphered writing..."