Southern façade of the Jagannatha Temple, Puri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the south façade of the Jagannatha Temple at Puri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Cornish in c.1892. Puri in Orissa, is one of the four traditional pilgrimage centres for Hindus, and the centre of the cult of Jagannatha, a form of Krishna. The main shrine, with a towered sanctuary and mandapa with a pyramidal roof, is attributed to Anantavarman Chodaganga of the Eastern Ganga dynasty (r.1077-1147). Other mandapas were added in the 13th and 15th Centuries. The rectangular complex has many other minor shrines and is within a high double-walled enclosure with four gates at the cardinal points. The tower rising over the sanctuary, almost 57 metres high, is richly decorated with plaster figures from Vaishnava and Ramayana myths. The miniature towers and walls of the sanctuary and of the mandapa house sculptures set in niches. A large amalaka with a pot finial crowns the top.