Photograph of a statue of Ganga in the Jagannatha Temple at Puri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Poorno Chander Mukherji in the 1890s. Puri is one of the holiest places of Hinduism and is particularly revered by the Vaishnavas as the principal centre of the cult of Krishna in his form of Jagannatha or Lord of the Universe. The temple dedicated to him, one of the largest in India, was founded in the 12th Century by Anantavarman Chodaganga (r.1077-1147) of the Eastern Ganga dynasty and consists of a sanctuary, covered by a spire of 57 m capped by a large amalaka, preceded by a mandapa or porch with a pyramidal roof and other mandapas which were added subsequently. The mandapa walls are elaborately treated with sculptural and architectural elements and the facade is divided into numerous panels through horizontal mouldings and pilasters. The sculpture in this view represent the personification of the river goddess Ganga standing on her vehicle, the makara, an aquatic monster.