Statue of Dvarapala at the entrance to the Ganesha Gumpha, Cave X, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Statue of Dvarapala at the entrance to the Ganesha Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. Cave 10, the Ganesha Gumpha, consists of two cells with four doorways opening onto a verandah with stone benches. The verandah was originally supported on four pillars. In the right cell there is a figure of Ganesha, the elephant-headed god who lends this cave its name. On the outer side of the left-hand pilaster of the verandah there is a sculpture of a guardian figure with the figure of a bull on the bracket above.