Sculptured panels of two Jain Tirthankaras in the Satghara Gumpha, Khandgiri Hill
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of sculptured panels of two Jain Tirthankaras in the Satghara Gumpha, Khandgiri Hill, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of sandstone. Most of these massive and austere caves were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. They generally have one or more plain cells with a flat ceiling. Some are double storeyed and have pillared verandas. The facades of the larger caves are profusely decorated with sculptures. Th double cave in this view is named the Sat-ghara, or seven chambers, after the seven openings in the verandah. On the walls of the inner cells are rows of figures, carved in niches, representing the Jain Tirthankaras.