South-east angle of courtyard of Jodh Bai's Palace, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jodh Bai Palace at Fatehpur Sikri, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This is view across the courtyard of the Jodh Bai Palace at Fatehpur Sikri, the Mughal Emperor Akbar's palace-city complex, built between 1571 and 1585. This palace was part of the Haram Sara (Imperial Harem), which comprised a large number of buildings and apartments for the ladies of the court. It is the largest of these buildings with a central courtyard and a symmetrical four-iwan plan. It has a ribbed roof, above the upper rooms in the north and south wings, covered with bright blue-glazed tiles, with vaulted chattris.