Screen with Scales of Justice in the Khas Mahal, Red Fort, Delhi
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David (1845-1907)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a pierced and inlaid marble or jali screen in the Khas Mahal, Delhi, taken by Joseph David Beglar during the 1870s. The Khas Mahal was the imperial residence of the emperor Shah Jahan in the Red Fort or Lal Qila at Delhi, built by him between 1639 and 1648. The screen is suspended over the central water channel that runs through these apartments. The upper semi-circular panel depicts a crescent moon, stars and the scales of justice, the latter used as a regal emblem. The lower section is carved in an intricate floral and lattice work design.