Small sculptured pillar, Peshawar District
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken c.1883 and attributed to Henry Hardy Cole (probably incorrectly) of a small sculpted pillar from an unknown location in the Peshawar area. The pillar is now probably in the Lahore Museum. This column appears to have been inspired by classical artistic traditions. The top, called a Corinthian capital, was originally a Greek architectural feature, yet from the first century AD onwards, they became popular in Peshawar district. The columns found in Peshawar are not, however, identical to their Greek counterparts. They blend Indian and classical features and are therefore described as 'Indo-Greek'. Graeco-Roman influence affected not only architectural features but a variety of artistic traditions in this area. Sculpture is a notable example of this phenomena, as the large quantities of statues found in the Peshawar district were heavily influenced by classical forms.