Shell character inscription on the Buddhagupta Pillar, Eran, Sagar District
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a small inscription in shell characters on the Buddhagupta pillar at Eran, taken by Henry Cousens c. 1892-94. The town of Eran has been occupied from the second century BC onwards. It is located in a naturally defensible position, in a bend in the Bina river. Eran was an important site during the Gupta period and this view shows a close view of part of the inscription on the Buddhagupta Pillar which was erected during at that time. Standing to a height of thirteen metres, the pillar is made of sandstone and was sculpted and erected in 484. It is topped by a fluted capital with two seated lions and the figures of Vishnu and Garuda seated at the top. The pillar has a long inscription on the shaft which explains that it was erected by king Buddhagupta.