Side and back view of the large temple at Sohagpur
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the temple at Sohagpur, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1873-74. Sohagpur is a large town in Rew district. The town is home to a large palace and their is a significant Jain presence in the form of temples and ancient sculptures. The temple shown here is Hindu however and is described by J.D. Beglar, in his 'Report of a tour...in the Central Provinces, 1873-74' "It is an unusually large temple, in the style of those of Khajuraha ...The plan shews a square sanctum...; in front of the sanctum is the antarala, and in front of it, the great mahamandapa; this is roofed by a dome of overlapping stones disposed in concentric circles, each fretted and coved...The great tower is of very elegant shape, and rises up with a gentle curve...; it is ornamented by clusters of similar-shaped towers; it is crowned with the amalaka in the usual way..." Beglar claims that the temple dates to the eleventh century and is Shaivite.