Photograph of an unnamed Jain temple at Chitorgarh taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. This view shows an unamed temple probably from the Paratihara period, which consists of a sanctuary with ruined curvilinear tower and an adjoining mandapa or hall. The outer walls are decorated with a band of sculptures representing various divinities, dancers, musicians and maidens. The oldest palace structures in the fort date to the rule of Rana Kumbha of Chitor (r. 1433-68) though greater age is claimed for some of the ruins and temples. Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.