Photograph of a small unnamed temple at Chitorgarh, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. The citadel of Chitorgarh was under the rule of the Pratiharas and other dynasties from the seventh century. It was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again. Many Hindu and Jain temples from the Pratihara and later periods are preserved inside the fort. The tower over the sanctuary of the unidentified temple in this view consists of clusters of miniature shrines and is crowned by an amalaka stone while the porch has a pyramidal roof. The outer walls of the sanctuary are decorated with mouldings and sculptured panels with the images of various divinities and the wall of the porch have perforated stone screens with geometric patterns.