Side view of shrine of Ananta Vasudeva Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the shrine of Ananta Vasudeva Temple, Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Alexander E. Caddy in 1895. The Ananta Vasudeva Temple stands amongst the later temples of Bhubaneshwar. It was founded in 1278 and it is the only temple dedicated to Vishnu in a site predominantly Shaiva. The sanctum and the porch stand on an ornate platform. The sanctuary walls have sculptures of the Vishnu's incarnations. The porch is also elaborately ornate with carvings depicting Krishna, Balarama, Rama, Sita, Lakshmana and Hanuman and friezes depicting elephants and processions. The tower over the sanctuary is almost 19 metres high. This temple continues the plan and decorative scheme of the Lingaraja temple (later 11th century) but on a smaller scale.