Shiva Temple and granary at Tirupantiruti
Photographer: Rea, Alexander
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Puspavanesvara Temple and granary at Tirupantiruti, taken by Alexander Rea around 1892. Tirupantiruti is situated in the modern state of Tamil Nadu, south west of Pondicherry. The town is also known as Tiruppanturutti. An inscription written on the temple's wall has been dated to the rule of the Chola king Aditya. This, along with structural evidence means that it is likely that the temple may have been rebuilt in stone before A.D. 882. The shrine or vimana has one-storey and faces east. It is covered by a round crowning cupola or shikara. The carving is of a high quality with finely wrought pilasters and numerous depictions of Hindu deities such as Shiva and Brahma on the outside. These are somewhat obscured under layers of stucco. In this photograph, the granary is on the right whilst the temple is to the left.