Sculptured panels of Jain Tirthankaras on the wall of a collapsed cave, Khandgiri Hill 1003425a
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of sculptured panels of Jain Tirthankaras on the wall of a collapsed cave at Khandgiri Hill, taken by Alexander E. Caddy in 1895, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of sandstone. Most of the caves were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. The facades of the larger caves are profusely decorated with sculptures. The sculptures in this view are high on the wall of the now ruined cave temple. In this view an Indian man holds a measuring rule against the rock face. The caption identifies the location as ''left of Satghara Cave.'' These sculptures are also reproduced in M.H.H. Kuraishi, List of ancient monuments...in the Province of Bihar and Orissa (Calcutta, 1931), p. 282, where the location is described as ''On the Khandagiri Hill, about 20 yards to the south of the Trisula or Hanuman Cave.''