Side view from the east of the Bagh Gumpha or Tiger Cave, with surrounding caves in foreground, Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the west of the Bagh Gumpha or Tiger Cave, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. This view shows an unidentified cave in the foreground, with the Bagh Gumpha visible in the left background, a small cave so called on account of the similarity of its shape with the head of a tiger with open jaws.