Shoay Dagon Pagoda, from public gardens, Rangoon
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda in Rangoon (Yangon), taken by J. Jackson in c.1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. The Shwe Dagon is Burma's most revered Buddhist shrine. A gilded bell-shaped stupa, it can be glimpsed from all over Rangoon due to its elevated postion on Singuttara Hill. Here it is seen from the Cantonment Gardens, its spire rising above the parkland scenery and an ornamental bridge, and reflected in the still waters of the lake. The gardens were situated immediately to the south-west of the Shwe Dagon, within the British military cantonment. They were planned in 1854-56 by William Scott of the Calcutta Botanic Gardens and laid out by the city's Public Works Department.